1. Uncovered secret letter confirms Vatican conspiracy – The 1997 letter reveals that it was indeed official Vatican policy to conceal pedophilia cases from authorities:
Child-abuse activists in Ireland said the 1997 letter demonstrates that the protection of pedophile priests from criminal investigation was not only sanctioned by Vatican leaders but ordered by them.
“The letter is of huge international significance, because it shows that the Vatican’s intention is to prevent reporting of abuse to criminal authorities. And if that instruction applied here, it applied everywhere,” said Colm O’Gorman, director of the Irish chapter of human rights watchdog Amnesty International.
The truly sickening part is that none of these people responsible for this order will ever see the inside of a jail cell because not a single government has the courage to stand up to the Catholic Church.
But here’s one way to get back at them. We could steal this…
2. Blood of Pope John Paul II to be built into an alter - PZ Myers said it better than I could here:
It’s as if they aren’t even trying to avoid the connection to voodoo, vampirism, and blood magic.
4. Watson, come here…and kick Ken Jenning’s ass! - As we continue to advance towards the goal of creating artificial intelligence, it’s hard to know what will come first, computers rising to the intelligence of humans or humans reaching the level of stupidity of computers. But one possible sign that we’re heading towards the former is Watson, a computer designed by IBM (hopefully not using Windows Vista) that will compete with Jeopardy‘s greatest champions in an epic battle to the death (presumably). After making Steve Jobs sick (presumably), Watson has also already defeated all-time Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings in a preliminary game. Unsubstantiated rumors says that when asked what it’ll do with the winning prize money, Watson replied, “initiate Judgment D–err, I mean, I’m going to Disney Land.”
5. Homeopaths retaliate against critics with accusations of ‘medical apartheid’ - A group of thirteen of Britain’s most reputable doctors have written a letter to the NHS, calling for them to stop using “unproven” complementary treatments such as homeopathy. So the homeopaths felt it appropriate to liken their level of “persecution” to the suffering of those in South Africa, accusing their critics of “medical apartheid.” Stay classy, guys!
- Is Cleric’s 1997 Letter the ‘Smoking Gun’ in Molestation Cover-Up? (theroot.com)
- Oops, I think that letter was supposed to be burned (scienceblogs.com)
- Vatican letter told Ireland’s Catholic bishops not to report child abuse (guardian.co.uk)
- Vatican Letter Orders Pedophile Cover Up (abcnews.go.com)
- Vatican says its Irish abuse letter misunderstood (seattletimes.nwsource.com)