1. Another study allegedly suggests beautiful women make men stupid –
Just five minutes alone with an attractive female raise the levels of cortisol, the body’s stress hormone, according to a study from the University of Valencia.
The effects are heightened in men who believe that the woman in question is “out of their league”.
Researchers tested 84 male students by asking each one to sit in a room and solve a Sudoku puzzle. Two strangers, one male and one female, were also in the room.
When the female stranger left the room and the two men remained sitting together, the volunteer’s stress levels did not rise. However, when the volunteer was left alone with the female stranger, his cortisol levels rose.
The researchers concluded: “In this study we considered that for most men the presence of an attractive woman may induce the perception that there is an opportunity for courtship.
I don’t know how this became a hot topic in scientific research. Maybe a few too many lonely male scientists are out to prove women are evil or will be the downfall of civilization.
2. How to create lesbian mice – That’s not what I’m personally into but apparently if one were so inclined to turn female mice into lesbians, all it takes is deleting a single gene. Of course the rodent religious right will still continue to insist that it’s just the choice to live a sinful lifestyle and reject the teachings of the mouse messiah. Why else would they call the aforementioned gene “FucM”? Mickey wants you to repent! He died for your sins.
3. Robot Ranger sets untethered walking record –
A Cornell University robot named Ranger walked 14.3 miles in about 11 hours, setting an unofficial world record at Cornell’s Barton Hall early on July 6. A human — armed with nothing more than a standard remote control for toys — steered the untethered robot.
The 14.3-mile record beats the former world record set by Boston Dynamics’ BigDog, which had claimed the record at 12.8 miles.
Sure, it can walk on a track but how’d it do in the rocky terrain of Tatoine?
4. Ben Stein tells the unemployed to get a job -Here’s what Stein had to tell America’s unemployed:
The people who have been laid off and cannot find work are generally people with poor work habits and poor personalities. I say “generally” because there are exceptions. But in general, as I survey the ranks of those who are unemployed, I see people who have overbearing and unpleasant personalities and/or who do not know how to do a day’s work. They are people who create either little utility or negative utility on the job.
And this was Nixon’s speech writer! I didn’t think it was possible but Stein seems to understand less about the job market than he does about biology and history.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Walking Robot Breaks Distance Record (neatorama.com)
- ‘Toaster on legs’ breaks record (thesun.co.uk)
- Ben Stein: The Unemployed Are People With ‘Unpleasant Personalities…Who Do Not Know How To Do A Day’s Work (barbaradiamond.blogspot.com)
- Ben Stein does his best Ben Stein impersonation (scienceblogs.com)
- Mice turn lesbian after gene deletion, scientists claim (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Researchers create ‘lesbian’ mice by deleting a single gene [Neurophilosophy] (scienceblogs.com)