1. How Obama can save taxpayer money while improving medical research – This past week, President Obama called on all federal agencies to voluntarily propose budget cuts of 5%. Dr. Steven Salzberg knows how he can the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) budget, and in the process, actually improve medical research:
Here’s my proposal: save over $240 million per year in the NIH budget by cutting all funding for the two centers that fund alternative medicine research–the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and the Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine (OCCAM). Both of them exist primarily to promote pseudoscience. For the current year, NCCAM’s budget is $128.8 million, an amount that has rapidly grown from $2 million in 1992, despite the fact that not a single “alternative” therapy supported by NCCAM has proven beneficial to health. OCCAM’s budget was $121 million in 2008 (the latest I could find) and presumably higher in 2010. That’s over $240M, not counting money these programs got from the stimulus package (and yes, they did get some stimulus funding).
Now that would be change I can believe in!
2. George Hrab unleashes more trebotchery on the world – If you don’t know who George Hrab is, you are missing out. He’s an incredibly talented (and freakishly tall) atheist and skeptical musician who produces a comedic, variety show-style podcast every week called the Geologic Podcast, where he often discusses atheist/skeptical themes. And now he’s just released his latest album, “Trebuchet.”
The first track on the album is titled “God Is Not Great,” a nod to Christopher Hitchens’ bestselling book. There’s also a track titled “Death From The Skies,” named for the eponymous book by Phil Plait. This song even features vocals by Plait, reciting excerpts from his book. George Hrab’s music spans many genres but I’d most compare it to that of one of his music idols, Frank Zappa. If you like Zappa, you’ll probably like Hrab’s music. And if you don’t like Zappa, well you’ll still probably like Hrab’s music.
And now, if you want to check out his music, you can listen to the entire new Trebuchet album FOR FREE on the latest episode of his podcast. Check it out.
3. Death by soccer or death by religion – 61-year-old David Makoeya was beaten to death by his own family after a fight broke out over his wanting to watch the World Cup instead of religious programming. But it’s not just the Christians. Islam also getting into the act:
4. Blasphemy with sprinkles on top – Lady Gaga isn’t the only one stirring outrage by wearing a habit this week. An Italian ice-cream maker outraged (aren’t they always) Catholics because of a commercial featuring a pregnant nun enjoying a pot of Antonio Fedirici ice-cream and includes the slogan: “Ice-cream is our religion.” Yeah, apparently that constitutes as “mocking the birth of Jesus”…somehow.
5. Vatican’s “values-based” solution to AIDS crisis – I’ll give you a hint. It involves no condoms and a continent full of dead Africans. I think they should call it their “final solution.”